As a reader, I sometimes get pretty far into a laptop review before I see the price. I’m not often surprised, though, because I’ve written enough reviews to have a sense of a laptop’s likely price range. But the newest Asus Zenbook 14 OLED threw me for a loop with its starting price of $700 for a device with a high-res OLED display on board.

That’s a phenomenal price when you get one of the best display technologies going. Yes, the entry-level configuration is relatively low-end, but for just $170 more, you can get higher-end components. That’s still an OLED-equipped machine with a solid build, good looks, and decent productivity performance for well under $1,000. Impressive.

Asus sells two versions of the ZenBook 14 OLED. There’s my review unit, which costs $700 for an AMD Ryzen 5 7530U CPU, 8GB of RAM, a 256GB SSD, and a 14.0-inch 2.8K OLED panel running at 90Hz. Or for $870, you get an AMD Ryzen 7 7730U, 16GB of RAM, a 512GB SSD, and the same gorgeous display.

View More